Mapping Urbanization and Social Change
The settlement was compact and the population doubled between 1702 and the mid 18th century increasing the number of lots from 809 to 1,422. Houses built to the north and East of Parade were fancy dwellings for the rich white elite constructed of stone or brick. The poor were relegated to the lower parts of Kingston adjacent to the Parade where there was a supply of public water easily accessible.
Figure 1: The City of Kingston Jamaica in 1897. Stark’s Jamaica Guide (Illustrated).
The town limits gradually swallowed the surrounding areas including the Black and French settlements, the cattle pens, the sugar plantations, and Half Way Tree, a junction between the sugar estates and the cattle pens. The use of the land for non-residential purposes was used for industry, public buildings, and commerce, which included overseas and internal trade.
The City of Kingston from Stark, J. H. (1897). Stark’s Jamaica guide (illustrated): Boston: J.H. Stark.
Black, C. V. B. (1958). History of Jamaica. London: Collins Clear-Type Press.
Clarke, C. G. (2006). Kingston, Jamaica: Urban development and social change, 1692- 2002. Kingston, Jamaica: Ian Randle.
Clarke, C. G., & Hodgkiss, A. G. (1974). Jamaica in maps. London: University of London Press.
Figueredo, D. H., & Argote-Freyre, F. (2008). A brief history of the Caribbean. New York: Facts on File.